The submerged town of Pavlopetri is situated in shallow water between the beach of Pouda at Viglafia (near Neapoli) and the islet of Pavlopetri, opposite the island of Elafonisos. The architectural remains of this prehistoric town, visible at a depth of about three meters, were discovered in 1904 by Fokionos Negris. In 1967 the famous oceanographer Dr. Nicholas Flemming of Southampton University visited the site and subsequently published the first survey of the submerged settlement. A year later, a team of archaeologists from Cambridge University undertook the first systematic underwater survey of the ruins. In 2009, an on-going programme of exploration and excavation was begun by the University of Nottingham, the Greek Culture Ministry’s Ephorate of Underwater Antiquities and the Hellenic Centre for Maritime Research. (www.nottingham.ac.uk/pavlopetri). source elafonisitour.com
British daily Guardian has chosen Yannis Behrakis of Reuters as its agency photographer of the year.