Christopsomo (Χριστόψωμο), Christ’s bread is a very old Orthodox tradition. In most Greek Orthodox homes, the bread is made on the 24th of December with high quality ingredients and a lot of care. It is usually round in form with decorations on top. In the old times, people would fast until the morning church service on Christmas day and would eat this bread as their dinner just with olives and red wine.
|Photo By David Rosengarden|
There is an endless list of traditional Greek pies (πίτες). They are called “pites” in Greek but they are different to Arabic pita breads. Most of them are made of phyllo dough and a filling of basic, pure and fresh ingredients. They are also prepared in different shapes such as triangles, squares, rolls or sticks. Epirus‘ s (Northwestern part of Greece) are probably the most popular ones. But every region in Greece has a different traditional pie type to offer. In this post we are writing about the most popular ones, links with the recipes if you wish to make them at home and we suggest places where you can have the best ones of each in Athens.
Tiropita or Tyropita (Cheese Pie)
- Bougatsa (μπουγάτσα) is a Greek plyllo pastrie filled with custard cream. It is a Greeks favorite snack, breakfast, or even dessert, perfect for any time of the day. Although this seems like a difficult sweet to make it is actually an easy one. It takes about 30 minutes to prepare and 20 minutes to cook. Here is our favorite recipe with detailed instructions.
- 1egg, room temperature
- 1egg yolk, room temperature
- 59.14ml sugar
- 354.88ml whole milk
- 59.14ml semolina (farina)
- 118.29ml butter, cut into bits
- 9.85ml fresh lemon juice
- 1lemon, zest of
- 2.46ml vanilla extract
- 8-10phyllo pastry, thawed, covered with dampened towel
- 118.29ml butter, melted
- icing sugar
|Photo By Mpougatsa.com|
New restaurants and cafes pop out every day in Athens and it is hard to decide where to go. We decided to write this article to guide you through the unending choices. We found it really tough to narrow down our favourite best restaurants in Athens. The restaurants we chose for the purpose of this post, apart from their gourmet dishes offer an experience to remember that we believe a traveler deserves. Welcome to our 5 best restaurants in Athens.
1. Dinner in the Sky – Experience Restaurant in the Sky