=&0=& are =&1=&, though strong seismic activity around Athens is rare. But the 1999 quake looms large in the memories of many residents.
According to the Tourism Ministry, when an earthquake occurs please follow these instructions:
If you are at the interior of a building
– Remain calm
– Take cover under a sturdy piece of furniture (table, desk etc), stand on your knees and hold on to the leg of the table or the desk
– If a sturdy piece of furniture does not exist, stand on your knees in the middle the room, staying as low as possible and trying to cover your head with your hands. Keep away from large glass surfaces such as windows, or furniture and objects that might hurt you.
– Do not try to leave the building.
– Do not get out on a balcony, if one exists
If you are in a tall building
– Keep away from glass windows and outer walls
If you are in a shopping mall or a big commercial store
– Remain calm
– Stay exactly where you are until the tremble comes to a stop
– Don’t get swept away by the running crowd which is moving unorderly towards the exits because there is a high risk of being stepped over.
If you are at an open space
– Get away from places situated exactly underneath buildings or from places where there are telephone or electricity cables.
– If you are carrying a handbag, put it over your head in order to protect yourself.
If you are in a car
– Go to an open space and stop the car somewhere where it does not impede the circulation of other vehicles
– Keep away from tunnels or bridges
source: Tourism Ministry
PS the Ministry certainly means: buildings built after 2000 when strict anti-seismic construction measures were introduced.
The Athens Marathon, the Authentic Marathon, is not just a sporting event, a hard race, a tough course of 42,195m. Beyond that, the Athens Marathon, the Authentic Marathon, is a bridge that incorporate legend into history; it showcases the strength of human will; it is a fountain of values, of social liability, environmental sensitivity, friendship and solidarity. These are the photos that touched my heart, during the 37th Authentic Marathon, on the 9th and 10th of November 2019 in Athens, Greece
Athens Flying Week (AFW) Tanagra International Air Show 2019, is the greatest air show of Greece, with more than 400,000 fans from around the world. On the 21st and 22th of September 2019 it returned for the 8th year in a row, and took off for the fourth time from the Tanagra Air Base.