I adore summertime, as all of you I guess, and I adore, homemade and fresh summery flavours.
Koulourakia (Greek: κουλουράκια) are traditional Greek cookies, typically made at Easter to be eaten after Holy Saturday.
They are a butter-based pastry, traditionally hand-shaped, with egg glaze on top. They have a sweet delicate flavor with a hint of vanilla. Koulourakia are well known for their sprinkle of sesame seeds and distinctive ring shape. In fact, the word is the diminutive form for a ring-shaped loaf or lifebelt. These pastries were also often shaped like small snakes by the Minoans, as they worshiped the snake for its healing powers.
Greek desserts are exactly what you need with an after-dinner Greek coffee. Here is a list of our top 10 ones.
1. Loukoumi (Λουκούμι) – The Greek version of “Turkish Delight”
2. Revani (Ρεβανί) – A moist and delicious semolina cake
3. Pasteli (Παστέλι) – Nut bar with honey. Sesame bar is the most popular.
4.Bougatsa (Μπουγάτσα) – A cream filled phyllo pastry
5. Spoon Sweet (Γλυκό του κουταλιού) – Fruits or nuts preserves in sugary syrup.
6. Karidopita (Καρυδόπιτα) – A mouthwatering moist walnut cake
7. Galatopita (Γαλατόπιτα) – A baked semolina and custard pie
8. Portokalopita (Πορτοκαλόπιτα) – A delicious sweet orange phyllo pie
9. Ekmek Kadaifi (Εκμέκ Κανταΐφι) – Shredded wheat pastry topped with two creams
10. Moustalevria (Μουσταλευριά) – A grape must pudding with roasted sesame seeds
The term halva is Arabic and means sweet. There are many types of halva desserts in various areas in the world. If you are in Greece and you want to buy halva you may probably be a little bit more specific, because Greek use the word halva to describe three completely different to each other sweets.
Photo by natofao
Tahini Halva known as Bakali Halva
Made of tahini (sesame seeds paste), honey or sugar and sometimes nuts or cocoa powder, this dense sweet is perfect to share with friends and family after dinner or lunch especially during religion fasting season. You cannot have much of it and it is best to have this treat with a Greek coffee or tea. High in nutrition but also high in calories.
|Photo by thecookbook|
You will mainly find this version of halva sold in stands at traditional festivals and it originally comes from the town of Farsala in Central Greece. This type is made of cornstarch, butter, sugar and almonds. Perfect for all seasons, with a jelly texture and a caramelized crust on top, another dessert high in calories but healthier than the creamy, chocolates desserts you find in patisseries.
Photo by dia-trofis
This is a semolina pudding with raisins and nuts, honey or sugar and the perfect aroma of cinnamon and clove. If you have not tasted semolina halva before you will be surprised by its delicious taste. Made with Greek olive oil this is a perfect dessert for those who prefer no-dairy and egg-free desserts.
If you live in the EU, you can have tasty halva products delivered to your door, through Yolenis.Com website.